Sunday, November 23, 2014

Rainy Sunday

It has been a relaxing and fun rainy Sunday. I got caught up on my laundry while playing many board games with Lily and Pyro. Sorry, Clue, Checkers and Chess were the picks of the day.  I have also been busy in the kitchen trying a new granola recipe that turned out great! Can't wait to try different variations!  We had homemade chicken and stars soup for lunch!
Ready to go in the oven!
Lily mixing granola
Finished homemade granola!


Captain Crunch (Granola)
Preheat oven to 300. Combine 3 cups old fashioned oats, 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts) 1 1/2 cups coconut shavings (I used unsweetened), 1/2 cup agave syrup, 1/4 cup olive oil or warmed coconut oil, 2 tbl packed brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 egg white. In a large bowl, toss to combine all. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake, stirring every 10 min until golden brown and dry, 40-45 min. Let cool on baking sheet, it will crisp as it cools. Mix in 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries.  Store airtight at room temp for 2 weeks.  (Maple syrup or honey can be swapped with agave, you can add chocolate chips too at the end) GREAT over yogurt!


Homemade Chicken and Stars soup!

8 cups chicken broth
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
1 bay leaf
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery chopped
1 cup star-shaped pasta

In a large pot, heat 4 cups broth to boiling. Add chicken and bay leaf, and simmer covered about 8-10 minutes. Add vegetables as you chop them. Remove chicken after 8 minutes and place on cutting board to cool.  Add the other 4 cups broth to your pot and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 6-7 minutes.  Remove pot from heat. Dice chicken, add to pot. Remove bay leaf. If soup is too thick, add 2 cups water for desired consistency. Top with your choice of garnish: parmesan cheese, saltines, pepper, oyster crackers, parsley


It is a short week as Thanksgiving quicky approaches! I made a thankful tree out of newspaper that doesn't look as cute as it does on Pinterest because the wall was a darker brown and that somehow made it cuter!  I also got my hair cut yesterday and she got scissor-happy! I cried in the parking lot...but decided to be thankful that I have a headful of hair and I can grow it back, I am healthy and it's JUST HAIR. There is always something to be thankful for!
2014 Thankful Tree
I am hoping my family will add leaves to the tree throughout the week. I have put the year on the backs of the leaves and have looked back and read 2011 and 2012 where I had a tree in a vase and a large stick with branches I found in the woods for the past couple years. I love reading what my family is thankful for year to year!

No comments:

Post a Comment